Everyone counts for Stafford Municipal School District
What is Census 2020?
Census is the once-a-decade population count that serves as the basis for distributing federal assistance to schools and educational institutions, including Title I aid, the National School Lunch Program, and special education grants to states. However, the Census is more than a population count. It provides a picture of our nation that assists in determining where to build new schools, hospitals and businesses. It also assists us in visualizing how our community has changed over time. This valuable information is why “Stafford MSD Counts!”
Why does the 2020 Census matter for my District/Campus?
The complete count matters a lot to students and schools. The 2020 Census will drive decisions regarding the allocation of more than $675 billion in federal funding to states and communities each year. This includes support for school programs and services such as:
- Special Education
- Food Assistance (i.e. Free and Reduced lunch prices)
- Reduction of class size
- Classroom technology
- Teacher training
- After-school programs
- Head Start
- Maternal and child health programs
- Housing and heating
How do I respond to the Census?
Every household will have the option of responding online, by mail, by phone, or in person by responding to a census enumerator. In mid-March, households will begin receiving official Census Bureau mail with detailed information on how to respond to the 2020 Census.
Census 2020 Resources
|On or between these dates||Every household should receive:|
|March 12-20, 2020||An invitation to respond online to the 2020 Census.
Some households will also receive a paper questionnaire at this time.
|March 16-24, 2020||A reminder letter.|
|Every household that has not yet responded should receive:|
|March 26-April 3, 2020||A reminder postcard.|
|April 8-16, 2020||A reminder letter and paper questionnaire.|
|April 20-27, 2020||A final reminder postcard before we follow up in person.|
- What is a census?
- What is the purpose of the census? What is the census used for?
- When does the 2020 Census start?
- Is the 2020 Census mandatory? Am I required to fill out my 2020 Census form?
- Can I refuse to answer a census question?
- Will the Census Bureau keep coming to my door if I don't fill out my 2020 Census form?
- What is an enumerator?
- Are census responses confidential?
- How will the 2020 Census count everyone?
- How does the Census Bureau know where people live?
- Are foreign citizens counted in the Census?